Get knowledge of all the music you’re listening to
In music theory at Vrå Folk High School, you as a student will acquire a basic knowledge of what
You will learn:
- Swing theory and other phenomena from the world of physics
- You will get a deeper understanding of notations and learn nodes
- You will get a deeper understanding of rhythm
- You will be introduced to chords and harmony
The subject, to a large extent, is for those who want to “geek out” and learn about what goes on
behind the music. It can be a good academic and theoretical input for those who want to look into a musical education after the Folk High School – or to those who want to understand the “formulas”
behind the music listen to or even play. You can also join the subject in addition to playing music in practice.
This study gives you an understanding of rhythm. Including both the purpose of notation, but very much also with emphasis on how the rhythm is to be understood, trained and labelled.
Finally, the subject aims to give you, the student, a basic understanding of chords and harmony. This point is important as, in this subject, harmony is broadly understood and based on various historical practices. Here, repertoire-knowledge, classic and rhythmic music history and styling are included.
About you, that chooses music theory:
- You want to learn more about the theory behind the music
- You want to geek out and listen to the historical perspective of music – You are open to new music that you don’t know
- You are excited to engage in discussions and talk about music
- Chords: Three or more tones, that when put together make a whole one.
- Harmony: How chords work together
- Swing theory: the physical swing that music is put together with
- Notation/node learning: fundamentals of basic codes of music
- Repertoire: a plan/list of music that a given artist plays
- Rhythmic understanding: understanding of the length of songs and the breaks in a given piece of music
Nodes are the building blocks of music. They are used to note and interoret music. Every node has a specific sound and length and when one olays them in a collected sequence, the music develops.
Rhythms are the length of the nodes and the held pauses. It’s measured in the number of strokes. Rhythm is completely based on timing and to be able to listen and to perceive. One may improve his rhythm through training.
Chords and harmony
Chords and harmony are the combination between three or more notes, which build an entity .
Anders H. U. Nielsen
Anders H. U. Nielsen Anders is the lead singer in the band ‘Uhrskov and Andersen’ and has previously been a guest researcher and research assistant at the Center for Danish Jazz History at Aalborg University.
In addition, he has been radio director at Radio Aalborg and sang choir at the highest level, where he has travelled extensively and performed at concerts in many countries, inside and outside of Europe. Generally, he spans broadly from rock, blues, roots, jazz over electronica, dub and modern classical music.
Anders has been employed at Vrå Folk High School since 2008, and teaches songwriting and music theory.